12.16.2013

Winter Food

Now is the time for the good hot comfort food.  Winter is the best time for the long, slow cooked dinners.  Now being a newlywed we are still figuring out our dinner planning and what not.  But the other Sunday, the snowy one, I planned on trying to make roast for the first time.
A little background.  I don't really cook and my mother doesn't cook.  We rely on my dad and his wonderful cooking.  So I told him I wanted to try and make a roast.  Being my dad, he went to the grocery store and bought me the ingredients.  These are for the first timer.  

What did he get?
1 roast
2 cans of potatoes
1 onion
and a bag of baby carrots
 
What would he normally get?
1 roast
regular potatoes and cut them up to go in
1 onion
and regular carrots to cut up and throw in

Like I said I am new at this.
 So I received directions from him in the creation of our meal.

Put roast in the roaster, fat side up!
Cut up onion and throw into roaster
Open and drain cans of potatoes and put into roaster
Put half of bag of baby carrots
sprinkle salt and paper
and desired seasoning
add water until items are covered.



Put the lid on and put into the oven at 300 for about 2 1/2 hours.  Let sit for 15 minutes and slice and serve.
Now my dad usually makes the gravy to go with it, but I cheated with the brown beef gravy.  I will get the hang of it one day.

I think I nailed it for my first attempt at making roast.  And it was a hit!


Now, I don't want you to think I can't make dinner or anything.  I promise I can, but for first time things I get nervous about how they are going to turn out.  And no matter what I do, I always think my dad's tastes better.

Do you have a go to hot dinner to make during the winter? 

4 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING! Full credit to you. I never ever would of been able to make this! It looks delicious, so WAY TO GO!
    "IF" I ever need to actually "cook" I am going to start slow, maybe the the slow cooker recipe my mom made last night. A beef stew that one of my high school friend's declared the best dinner ever! (My mom swears it only requires cutting and throwing into a crock pot, however this may be too complicated for my ability)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't think I could either. You just need to try. I was surprised it turned out great! Slow cookers are great and easy. It would be a good way to start and there are soo many great recipes to try.

      Delete
  2. That looks awesome, I love a good roast in the wintertime. I make a roast in the crock pot (which is one of the best inventions ever!). Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I was thinking about trying it in the crock pot but I wasn't sure. May have to try that one day. (I love my crock pot)

      Delete